I am excited now and can’t wait to share with you , this wonderful Banana Caramel Cake (“,) This is no ordinary banana cake ! It is truly a slice of Heaven! The combo of cream cheese , banana , the amber colored caramel and fresh cream ( I used plain yoghurt instead of fresh cream ) was awesome... a truly moist and cheese scented cake ! This cake is simply AWESOME ! Every bite you get to taste the banana and cream cheese cubes mmmMmmmm you have to bake this to believe me :))))
Credit goes to one of my favourite food blogger – Piggy’s Cooking Journal . Thanks for sharing such an awesome cake. I have tried it and I LOVE IT !
Banana Caramel Cake - adapted from Piggy's Cooking Journal
For the caramel
60g castor sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp hot water
2 tbsps fresh cream
For the cake
180 g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
115g caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 bananas cut into thickness of 0.5cm
30g cream cheese, cut into small cubes
To prepare caramel
1) Cook sugar and water in a saucepan. When the syrup turn into amber color, remove from heat immediately.
2) Stir in hot water, follow by cream. Set aside.
To prepare cake batter
1) Preheat the oven to 180 deg C. Grease a 18X8cm rectangular baking pan, line with baking paper.
2) Using an electric mixer, whip butter, cream cheese and 75g of sugar until the mixture turns pale and fluffy.
3) Continue whipping the mixture , add in egg yolks one by one. With each addition, whip until the batter just combine.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Continue to whisk and at the same time, add remaining 40g of sugar in 5 batches. Whip the egg white until stiff peak forms.
5) Using a rubber spatula , stir in 1/3 of egg white into cream cheese mixture from Step (3). Sift flour and baking powder over the batter, stir until combine.
6) Fold remaining egg white in 2 additions, stir quickly and scraping down the bottom of the bowl making sure that the batter is well combined.
7) Lastly, stir in banana pieces and caramel. Scrape the batter into the baking pan then scatter with cream cheese cubes.
8) Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake turns out clean.
* * *