Everyone in the family knows I am a yam fan :p I cooked them in soup, make fritters, braised with roast pork and today I am going to share this delicious yam cake recipe. Yam cake is Wild Boar's all time favorite kuih. He loves how generous I was with the aromatic garnishing. He especially loves the preserved ' tai tow choy ' and crispy fried shallots and crispy fried dried shrimps. These three ingredients are the co-stars of the yam cake. Five spice powder adds flavor to the yam cake too. Smells really good . The preparation takes a bit of work but on the whole it was great making this savory cake. Hope you will agree that this is good.
these are the ingredients for the toppings
weighing out the rice flour and tapioca flour
cook the rice flour batter with the steamed yam till mixture thickens
take out after steaming for about an hour
while still warm , add the toppings- fried shrimps,
tai tow choy , fried crispy shallot and lastly the spring onion and chilli
spread out evenly the mixture of fried shallots and 'tai tow choy'
on the surface of the steamed yam cake
followed by spring onions and chilli
make sure the cake has totally cooled down before cutting
Steamed Yam Cake adapted from Goodbites
600g yam, peeled and diced and steamed
100g dried prawns, soaked and chopped
1 tbsp Tai Tow Choy - chopped
1 tbsp of fried shallots
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
1 chicken stock cube
1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper
4 Tbsp oil
For the batter:Mix and strain
300g rice flour
75g tapioca flour
1 tsp of five spice powder
5 cups water
4 red chillies, diced
1/4 cup of presered tai tow choy
1/3 cup of fried dried shrimps
1/3 cup of fresh spring onions, chopped
1/3 cup of fried shallots
- Heat up oil in wok, stir fry chopped garlic and dried prawns till fragrant. Dish out one-third for garnishing.
- Add diced yam, 1 tbsp of preserved ' tai tow choy' and fry till yam is three-quarter cooked.
- Pour the strained batter into yam mixture. Mix well. Add chicken cube, salt and pepper to taste.
- When batter has thickened, pour into a greased steaming tray and steam for one hour or till cooked.
- Turn off fire and sprinkle with the fried dried shrimps, preserved ' tai tow choy ', fried crispy shallots and lastly the spring onions and chilli.
- Let it be completely cooled down before cutting.
- Serve with a garlicky chilli sauce