When I saw this Nian Gao Taro Rolls at Wendy's Blog, I knew I had to make this for our sunday snacks. Taro being my favourite together with the nian gao...whoa who could resist .....thus the Wild Boar and myself had this for our sunday tea snack....gosh.. you must try this delectable nian gao/glutinous rice cake taro rolls. This is my first time making it and I tell you I am going to make this again for my Piggies when they come home for their break. Keeping the nian gao for them in the fridge :) So Piggies , don't worry , I have kept some unfried ones for you both :p
Please hop over to Wendy's blog for steps on how to wrap them into rolls. She has clear step by step pictures on how to make this rolls :) Wendy, thanks for sharing this delectable rolls... Wild Boar and myself truly enjoyed them....and we tucked them in greedily LOL!
Nian Gao/ Glutinous Rice Taro Rolls ( taken from Wendy - Table For 2 Or More )
( Printable Recipe )
500gm taro (芋头, keladi )(cleaned weight)
100gm fresh grated coconut
2 Tbsp sugar
1/3- ½ tsp salt (use 1/3 tsp first, taste and add more if needed)
1. Slice taro and steam until cooked(soft).
2. Mash taro while it’s still hot and put in coconut, salt and sugar. Mix until well combined
300gm nian gao, cut into 2 inch long strips
Spring roll wrappers (125mmX125mm)
Egg white to brush on edges
1. Place wrapper onto a flat surface, eg: a plate.
2. Place 1 tbsp of taro filling onto wrapper
3. Place 1 pc of nian gao onto taro and wrap
4. Brush edge with egg white before rolling up.
5. Fry the prepared rolls in medium- medium low heat until golden.
* * *