Doing this in a rush is a mistake and I shall tell myself from now onwards never bake cake in a rush. I baked this cake at 11.00pm and you can imagine how tired I was and with the aging process the mind just refuse to work. Putting in the wrong ingredient due to reading the ingredient wrongly can give you nightmare !!!
Okay, I saw this fresh strawberry cake on Foodbuzz Top 9 by Felice of All That's Left Are The Crumbs . She is from Honululu , Hawaii . And since I have most of the ingredients in the fridge or thought I have them all, I decided I want to make this for Claire and a friend for their breakfast the next day, which is today. But the cake appearance was not like hers...then I realized.......
my mistake was , I used yogurt instead of sourcream. It sinks in the center not because it was not cooked but it was due to the yogurt I used . Too moist I think, I meant to mix the yogurt with the heavy cream and a squeeze of lemon juice to make my own sourcream but I forgotten to do that and thus the whole 150ml tub of yogurt went into the batter :( BUT appearance can be deceiving...it tasted good despite that fact it was a bit moist and a bit too sweet for me. Flavorful with the yogurt and tangy taste of strawberries in the cake...imagine this with a cup of hot coffee...mmmm its heaven on earth! Thank you Felice for sharing this recipe and congrats..this recipe was on Foodbuzz Top 9 a while ago :))
Fresh Strawberry Cake With White Chocolate Chips - adapted from Felice
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 tsps vanilla extract
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tsps baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsps ( 1/4 stick ) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
8 oz strawberries, stemmed and sliced
I cup white chocolate chips or chunks
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking out the excess.
3. Combine the egg, egg yolk, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla in a large measuring jug and beat lightly.
4. Combined 1 1/4 cups of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
5. Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric whisk on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides when necessary.
6.With the mixer on medium low speed, pour egg mixture into the bowl in a slow stream, stopping the mixer once or twice to scrape down the bowl.
7.Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. After the last addition mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
8. Combine the strawberries and remaining 1/4 cup flour in a medium bowl and toss to coat.
9. Fold the flour covered berries along with the chocolate chips into the batter using a spatula.
10. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
11. Bake the cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
12. Let the cake cool on the pan for about 5 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack and then turn it right side up to cool completely.
13. Cut into squares and serve.
Don't be like me...follow the instruction to the dot to get the perfect touch. I realized I was too tired and did not follow the instructions properly - too tired to actually read properly... here are my mistakes for the cake - I did not use sour cream, I did not pour the egg mixture in slow stream into the butter mixture and I did not toss the strawberries with the 1/4 cup flour. I took the cake straight out of the oven and overturn it to cool without letting it in the pan for 5 minutes...thus the causing the centre of the cake to sink in :((
I shall be making this again...and this time I will follow the instructions to the dot and not to bake at that hour of the night when the head is already not functioning properly !
Have a nice day !
and thank you to Felice for sharing this wonderful cake
* * *