I am sorry if I am going to bore you guys with fresh cranberries again LOL! I am crazy with cranberries especially those fresh ones... like beauitful edible rubies ! :) AND having 3 packets of them in the freezer !!! what do you think...of course I am using them for making Xmas cookies ! I am crazily intoxicated with them in my food and bakes....LOL! until Wild Boar oinked..." CRANBERRIES AGAIN ? " BUT then when he tasted these......he has to retract his " CRANBERRIES AGAIN ? " to " THESE CRANBERRIES STUFF IS DARN GOOD !
I made my own cranberry jam , cooked them with lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar till they thickens and glisten...whoa loved their natural cranberry bitterish and sourish taste...perfect for making these Xmas cookies. I found this recipe from Petra's blog - Zoom Yummy and the moment my eyes feasted on them , I knew I had to make these mouth-watering cookies since I have so much fresh cranberries in my freezer :) Love the cream cheese in the pastry, it resembles a puff pastry but less layered and less fatty ....it tasted out of this world and even my buddy Claire said it was good. I gave her a box of it for early Xmas treat :p and she took two at one go.....the cookies are addictive ...eat one, eat two and you can go on and on. It involved some work but manageable and I enjoyed making them . The pastry is new to me and I love new stuff :) The pastry is a knock out and I will be making this again with different fillings. Thumbs up and I would recommend that if you love cookies and have not an idea what to make or you are looking for new cookies to treat your family this festive season..try this ! You will not regret making them !
my homemade cranberry jam....finger licking good !
ingredients.....fresh cranberries, sugar, lemon zest and juice
cook till it glistens and thickens :)
the process involves a bit of work but manageable :)
close up pic of the bowtie cookie
I am not good at making cookies , lucky I managed
to shape it like a bowtie LOL!
the dusting of icing sugar gave the cookies character :)
love the pastry and the fillings.....thumbs up
it is so addictive that I have to hide the other box away
from Wild Boar or he will finish them all in one go !
Bowtie Cookies With Homemade Cranberry Jam Filling - adapted from Zoom Yummy
Homemade Cranberry Jam
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1/2 lemon - take juice
2 tsp lemon zest
Cook under medium low heat till it thickens and glistens - keep stirring so that the base will not get burnt. When ready ,dish out and leave aside till cooled.
6 oza (170 grams ) cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup ( 230 grams) butter, softened
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 1/2 cups (325 grams ) all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups thick jam * refer to my homemade cranberry jam
sifted confectioner's sugar for dusting
1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat together the cream heese, butter, sugar and salt on medium
speed until light, about 2 minutes.
2. Then on low speed, gradually beat in the fluur just until mixed. A crumbly mixture will form.
3. Using your hands, pat the crumbly mixture together to form a dough ball.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (175 deg C) and line a bking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Now on a lightly floured surgace, roll out the dough into a square or rectangel about 1/8 inch (3mm) thick.
6. Cut the dough into even 2.5 X 2.5 ( 66 cm) squares.
7. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of each square. Use really thick jam.
8 Pull 2 opposite corners of the square into the middle, and pinch the edges together to seal. Pinch the edges
well, dont give them a chance to open back into the square shape while baking.
9. Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing them about 1 1/2 inch (4cm ) apart.
10. Bake at 350 deg F (175 deg C) for about 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
11. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.
12. Dust the tops with sifted confectioner's sugar while still warm, then let cool completely.
I am submitting this to the Christmas Giveaway in
come lets us all join in the fun,
just make anything in red/ green or red+green to participate!
Closing date of the Giveaway Contest is 11th December,2011
* * *