Since the day I bought those fresh cranberries from Tesco, I have been itching to bake this cake - Cranberrry Upside Down Cake from Dorie's book " Baking: From My Home To Yours " and last Saturday I had the opportunity to bake this wonderful cake for my Piggy Cuz. This cake is rich and moist with cranberries and nuts ....a cake to die for and I told Piggy Cuz this is truly a seasonal cake and I am going to bake another one for her birthday comes January 2012 :)))) I have one more packet left of these fresh cranberries in the freezer and I think this cake deserves another round of cranberries ! The next cranberry season I will stash more of these fresh cranberries so that I can have them all year round.
This is my christmas present for Piggy Cuz :) this is the only thing that is priceless , a cake that she can't get any where :) I know self praise is no praise but when I received this sms from her , it read as ..........
" Compliments 2 the chef ! Yr cranberry nutty cake's FANTABOLOUS!!! simply amazing ! We r LOVING it ! All of us indulging in it after main meal now! Yum! Thank u! "
I do need compliments once in a while :p , if I am to say, nope I don't need compliments , I am lying ! It is encouraging when readers and friends leave me nice to read comments.. :) I am not hinting here :p , seriously it makes my day when I receive smses like this from people whom I gave them my bakes :p I love feed backs good or bad. This recipe is taken from Dorie's Baking From My Home To Yours and this is the first cake I baked from the book . Love this book to bits and I shall be baking more from her book. This recipe is slightly different from the rest of upside down cakes. Instead of sprinkling sugar at the base or applying a caramel base, this recipe involved cooking the butter and sugar together and this butter sugar caramel gave the cake a nice fragrant...seriously, this cake is to die for ! You can replace fresh cranberries with other fresh berries that you can find that is in season .
Okay for the time being DROOL as much as you want....
Cranberry Upside Down Cake - Dorie Greenspan - Baking: From My Home To Yours
1 cup all-purpose flour1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 sticks (14 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups of cranberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, do not thaw)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup red currant jelly, for glazing the cake
1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350F. Put an 8x2-inch round cake pan on a baking sheet
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan. Sprinkle in 6 tablespoons of the sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil. Pour the mixture evenly over the bottom of the cake pan, then scatter the nuts over the mixture and top with the cranberries, smoothing the layer and pressing it down with a rubber spatula.
4. Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the remaining stick (8 tablespoons) of butter on medium speed until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue to beat until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed. Pour in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the batter. Mix in the milk, then the rest of the dry ingredients. Spoon the batter over the cranberries and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes (35-40 for a 9-inch pan), or until the cake is golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and run a blunt knife between the sides of the pan and the cake. Carefully turn the cake out onto a serving platter. If any of the berries stick to the pan, just scrape them off and return them to the cake.
6. Warm the jelly in a small saucepan over low heat, or in the microwave. Gently brush the glaze over the hot cake.
to all my readers, Doristas and blogger friends
Have a swell Christmas with
your family and friends.
* * *