I baked this prune cake for my cell group potbless last Friday, the first cell group meeting 2012 , and it was a lovely cake to bring for dessert. The texture is moist and so enriched with mashed prunes. A healthy cake for the young and old. Healthy for the fact that prunes works as a laxative to assist the bowels movement and break down bulky food ....yea...a truly healthy cake for all ! :)
I googled for the recipe and found this lovely recipe from Home Kitchen Recipe . I fell in love with the cake and without any hestitation, I baked it and the result turned out great. The prunes were evenly spread out and the cake moist and soft. This is a healthy version compared to the rest of prune cake recipe. A keeper for sure. And most important it does not involve much work :) Thank you Shirley T for sharing this simple and yet delicious cake.
I like this tube pan that I bought some years back. It may be just a plain looking one but each time I baked cakes in them, they turned out nice and easy for me to cut into pieces for potbless :) and what more the cake bake faster and lesser time spent in the oven !
see how nicely they rise up and mmmm love the brown top
I left it a bit longer in the oven thus the crack :p
love the speckles of prunes on the cake
love this even more...see how evenly spread out
the prunes were :)
This cake was well received by the cell members :)
and I went home happy !
Prune Cake - taken from Home Kitchen Recipe
1 cup self-rising flour (I use H.E.B. brand)
3/4 cup sugar (if use unsweetened prune, add more sugar i.e. 1 cup)
22 prunes - sweeten pitted
5 tbsp butter - melted
2 extra large egg - whisked
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1. Set oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Get a small saucepan or pot. Place in the prunes and pour 1/4 cup water. Heat up to simmer the prunes until they turn soft. Then, mash them and turn to low heat to dry up the water. Set aside to cool down.
3. Grab a mixing bowl. Add butter and sugar, beat until they turn white or sugar is melted.
4. Add egg one by one, and then milk. Continue beating at each step to mix well. At the end of this stage, the batter is loose and light.
5. Gradually, add self-rising flour bit by bit and always keep stirring.
6. Lastly, add the mashed prunes and stir to mix well.
7. Transfer to baking tray.
8. Bake at 375 deg Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until the cake turns golden brown or toothpick comes out clean.
* * *