Piggy Josh and his friend Elaine came back to Ipoh for a CNY visit and to savor some of the famous Ipoh food on 4th February. Of course, Wild Boar and myself were happy to take Elaine for some Ipoh food. She came bringing with her lots of CNY goodies and guess what she gave me a recipe book by famous Chefs of Sheraton Hotel and ......wheeee..... she really knows my heart and for me..." the way to your future MIL's heart is through recipe books " :p just kidding. Elaine is Josh's friend and I hope she will drop by more often .....ahem more recipe books then LOL! Besides recipe books, Online college classes can help you expand your base and make unique desserts like this and before she goes back to KL , I baked her a zebra cake with chocolate and walnuts in it. I am happy it turned out great....even though the nuts were slightly burnt on top :p Her parents love it...so that is all that matters !
This is my first time making a zebra cake. I can't see the inside so I asked Josh whether Elaine served him a slice and asked him to describe the cut slice....haha he told me the cake has zebra stripes design...aha...I was so happy when he told me that...it meant I was successful in making the zebra stripes :))))) and he said Elaine's parents love the moist and flavorful cake and said that I should open a bakery business.....hahaha ROFL ...nice compliment eh ? I am not a good baker but I am happy when my cakes finishes fast.
I used back the butter cake recipe from here and just add the chopped walnuts onto one part of the plain batter and chocolate onto the balance batter. To make the zebra stripes design, first drop a scoop of chocolate batter on the center of the baking pan, followed by another scoop of the walnut batter on top of the first scoop of chocolate batter. Continue doing it , alternately until the batter finishes. Practice makes perfect and I will be making this again sometime next week for a party :)
one portion of batter - add cocoa powder, chocolate emulco
and melted chocolate to it
second portion - add chopped walnuts to it
Using tablespoon , scoop 3 tbsp of chocolate batter
into centre of cake pan.
Then, scoop 3 tbsp of walnut batter
on top of the chocolate batter.
I added whole walnut for the topping
I was busy chatting with Elaine and
this was what happened to the nuts...burnt !
told her to remove the nuts if it is bitter :p
Thanks Elaine for the book...love it and
I can't wait to try out the recipes :)
Zebra Cake - Chocolate And Walnut
195g all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
170g unsalted butter, softened
225g sugar (I use 200g)
1 large egg, plus one large egg yolk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
12 tbsp whole milk
100 gm toasted walnuts- finely chopped
1 tsp of cocoa powder
1 tbsp of chocolate emulco
50 gm of melted dark chocolate
*optional - 100 gm of whole walnut for topping
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Butter and line a 9-inch cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Using a mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until fluffy for about about 2 minutes.
4. Beat in egg, egg yolk and vanilla until well-combined.
5. On low speed, add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk.
6. Switch mixer to medium and beat for 10 to 15 seconds, just until batter appears.
7. Divide batter into two equal portions.
8. 1st portion -Walnut Batter - add 100 gm of toasted walnuts - chopped finely - to the batter
2nd portion -Chocolate Batter - add 1 tsp of cocoa powder, 1 tbsp of chocolate emulco and 50 gm of melted dark chocolate
9. Using tablespoon , scoop 3 tbsp of chocolate batter into centre of cake pan. Then, scoop 3 tbsp of walnut batter on top of the chocolate batter.
10. Repeat until you have finished about half of the batter. Reduce to 2 scoops each now and continue layering.
11. Reduce the amount of batter gradually until you only pour 1 scoops of each batter finally. The circles become smaller and smaller as you pour.
12. Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins or until golden brown. Let cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning it on to a wire rack to cool complete.
* * *