This is another cake from from Evan's Kitchen Ramblings that I copied cat on :p I bought some purple sweet potatoes from the wet market the other day and remembered this cake from EKR. The inside of the sweet potatoes were dark purple in color as you can see from the bits of it in the cake. I love the natural purple color which gave the cake a very nice and refreshing look. The texture is moist and light at the same time. A beautiful color, natural purple and rich with nutirents and I love the bits of sweet potatoes in it. Delicious ! and I shall make this again , a keeper no doubt :)
I am happy that it turned out quite nice....meaning that this time , I managed to make a good chiffon cake! Yay! I don't seem to have much luck making chiffon cakes but this time , it looks that I have overcome failure :p Thank you Evan's Kitchen Rambling for sharing yet another wonderful recipe . After this , I shall dare venture into another chiffon cake, so stay tuned . More chiffon cakes will be coming your way :)
love the bits of sweet potatoes in the chiffon cake
and it did not sink to the bottom :)
I am satisfied with the texture and the fact that it did not collapsed
makes me happy :)
makes me happy :)
Purple Sweet Potato Chiffon - adapted from Evan's Kitchen Ramblings
130 purple sweet potato - steamed and mashed
4 tbsps milk
4 egg yolks
25g brown sugar
65ml canola oil * I use corn oil
4 tbsps water
110g cake flour, sifted
5 cold egg whites
65g caster sugar
80-100g raw purple sweet potato cubes, lightly coated with cake flour to prevent from sinking to the bottom of the cake
1. peel and chop purple sweet potatoes, then steam until cooked. lightly mash with fork, add milk and puree with hand blender until emulsified.
2. in a bowl whisk together egg yolks, brown sugar, oil & water until well blended. add in sweet potato puree and mix well. fold in flour until well combined.
3. in another bowl whisk together egg whites and caster sugar until stiff peaks, then fold the whites into the yolk mixture in 3 additions. fold in the purple sweet potato cubes.
4. pour mixture into ungreased chiffon/angel cake tube pan and knock the pan against the counter top to remove some air bubbles.
5. bake in a preheated oven of 180C for 40 mins or until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. remove tin from oven and immediately invert it until the cake has cooled completely.
* * *