I thought plain steamed sponge cake with homemade kumquat compote would give the cake an added refreshing flavor and uplift the cake to a higher level and true enough, it was yummy good ! The cake turned out soft and the kumquat compote gave the sponge cake a twist. So refreshing and I purposely reduce the thickness of the cake to make it finger food for all occasions especially for my cell meet-up. Place the cut piece on paper liner and gosh, it is impressive ! Love it and read on for the recipe................
I used a 9" X 9" baking pan and this one recipe
just nice for my steamer :)
steam it for 20 minutes under medium heat and take it out
to cool it on rack before cutting into required size
place each individual pieces on paper liner and it
will definitely impress the friends :) people
feast the food with the eyes first...right ?
the cake is soft and the kumquat compote take this plain
sponge cake to a higher level in term of flavor...
so refreshing and yummy !
packed them neatly in a row in a container and
I can be off for the cell goup meet up.....
Steamed Sponge Cake With Kumquat Compote
85g caster sugar
140 g self-raising flour
35 ml milk
15 ml corn oil
80 g homemade kumquat compote ( click here for the recipe )
1. Lightly grease a 9 X 9 inch baking pan with corn oil, then line the pan with baking paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with an electric mixer until foamy. Continue to whisk and at the same time, add sugar in 3 batches. Whip the eggs and sugar till light.
3. Sift flour and salt over egg mixture. Using a wide spatula, fold the mixture until just combined.
4. Mix milk and oil in a bowl, pour over egg mixture. Fold the mixture until well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
5. Distribute the kumquat compote evenly on the cake. Steam in medium heat for 20 mins. Take out the cake and cool on rack. Cut into required sizes after the cake has cooled down. Place the pieces of cake on cupcake paper liners.
Have a nice day !
* * *