What do you do to your egg whites after using the yolks for your cake ??? As for me, I would normally make egg white omelet for my dogs LOL! But after reading through Min's blog , I know what I can with them ! Yesssss....turning them into Ginger Egg Custard ! A healthy dessert for the family. It tasted so darn good that I will be making this again and again. The ginger juice will helps remove the wind in our body :)
I saw this recipe on Min's blog and decided to try it out. It was smooth and well flavored with the ginger juice...and the sweetness was just perfect after her adjustment Instead of putting red beans as garnishing for the custard, I used last year Kumquat compote as garnishing :) Great combination , the kumquat compote blends well with the ginger egg custard. It uses egg whites instead of whole eggs. The fact that I need not waste the egg whites after each bakes, makes me happy . I can now make delicious custard for the family ! :) Go make these custards for your family when you have many egg whites after making layered cakes LOL! Seriously, this is so good that I am still thinking of it while typing this post :)
it should be wobbly when you take it out from the steamer
the velvety smooth texture melts in the mouth
and the ginger juice was not overpowering....I love it !
Steamed Ginger Egg Custard - adapted from Sze Min
1 piece of old ginger ( grate to make 1 tbsp of its juice )
3 egg whites
3 egg whites
40 gm castor sugar
red bean * I replace with kumquat compote
1. In a pot, with small heat, warm milk and sugar, stir till sugar dissolved. Let is cool.
2. Beat egg white lightly, add in ginger juice and the milk from (1)
3. Let the mixtures run through fine sieve 2-3 times.
4. Put in the ramekins into the steamer and steam for 5 mins ( to warm them up in order to shorten the steaming time later ) , then pour in the milk mixture.
5. Steam with moderate to high heat for 5 mins, then turn to small heat, and put chopstick at the cover of the steamer, to leave a gap for the steam to escape, for another 6-8 minutes.
6. Add in kumquat compote or red bean just before serving.
* * *