When I first got hold of this book - Martha Stewart's Pie And Tarts, I bookmarked many recipes that I wanted to do. Ahem...that was 2 years ago but until recently during the Christmas holidays I had the opportunity to bake some of it. I dug out the book from my messy bookshelf and flipping through those bookmarked ones, decided to bake these delicious tarts. One of the best tart I have eaten. I thank God that I have fresh blueberries in the freezer. I like to stock up berries in the freezer when they are in season and use them when they are off season :p . This tart is special ....read on and you will know why it is so special and you can't find them in any bakery in Ipoh :)
This tart is special coz it is unlike those that I have made. The crust has ground almond in it. I added poppy seeds to it too ( I need to use up all the old batch of poppy seeds ) and the filling is almond batter with blueberries and jam ( I used homemade cranberry jam ) awww this is one awsome tart. It will be served often in my household after this :)
you can make the tart shell a day ahead and store them
in airtight containers , on the day itself you can make
the almond batter ..this will save time and energy
apply a layer of jam at the bottom of the tart and
throw in some fresh berries or preserved ones
if fresh berries are not available
add in the almond batter to the brim, after which
sprinkle almond flakes and sugar on top before
baking in the oven
Bake until tops rise and are golden...mmmm it smells good at this point
the poppy seeds give it character, I like :) the crunch mmmm lovely!
look at the inside...full of flavor, the cranberry jam and
the fresh blueberries gives it a subtle tangy taste
and the crunchy almond flakes completes the
awesomeness of this tart :)
Blueberry And Almond Tartlets - Martha Stewart's Pie And Tarts
For the crust
1/3 cup blanched almonds
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus
more for dusting
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk
1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
For the filling
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling * I reduced the sugar by 10%
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 tbsp blanched almonds, toasted and finely ground
plus 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds for topping
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons blueberry jam * I used homemade cranberry jam
3 ounces ( 1/2 cup ) fresh small blueberries, preferably wild
1. Make the crust : Pulse almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add flour, sugar, and the salt; pulse to combine. Add butter ; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yolk and 1 tbsp more ice water ; pulse until dough just comes together, adding up to 1 tbsp more ice water, if needed. Shape dough into a thick disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, 1 hour or up to 3 days. ( Dough can be frozen up to 1 month; thaw in refrigerator before using ).
2. Preheat oven to 375F . On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut out twelve 4 1/2 inch rounds. Reroll scraps if necessary. Line twelve 3 - or 3 1/4 inch tartlet pans with dough, pressing into bottoms and up sides; trim excess dough flush with rims. Divide shells between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Pierce bottoms of shells all over with a fork. Refrigerate or freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
3. Line shells with parchment. Add pie weights or dried beans. Bake until light golden brown, 20-22 minutes. Remove weights and parchment. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
4. Make the filling : With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar until pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Using a flexible spatula, fold in flour, ground almonds, and salt.
5. With an offset spatula, spread about 1 1/2 teaspoons jam into each shell. Top with blueberries, dividing evenly. Cover fruit in each tart shell with 2 tbsps of batter. Sprinkle batter evenly with sugar and sliced almonds. Bake until tops rise and are golden, 18-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Tartlets can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 day.
Have a nice day :)
* * *