The moment I saw this steamed mini pandan sponge cake on Sonia's blog I knew I had to try it out. So I went out to get the mini moulds for making Puteri Ayu from the baking shop. Managed to get them from Bake With Yen for under ten dollars ( 15 moulds ) They look cute and you can use them as jelly moulds too :) It turned out so good that I have made this a few times already. Nice to serve as afternoon tea snacks. A keeper for sure. The sponge cake is pandan flavored and with the grated coconut topping, it was a great combo. Great snacks for cell group meeting ...easily digestable. The young and old will surely like this homemade ones :) Read on for the recipe .....
Now that I know how to make them myself , I don't need to order from the stall anymore for cell group meeting. The first time I made them , they turned out so good. Light and fluffy and the flavor is so good. Even WB ate a lot :) normally he doesn't fancy this mini cake. He only likes butter cake which I don't encourage him to eat much. These steamed ones are healthier for us. And thank you Sonia for sharing this delightful mini cake :)
you have to greased the moulds before using so that
the cake can come out nicely when unmoulding
they look cute dont they?
and every mouthful is deliciously yummy
especially when the teeth sinks into
the light and fluffy texture...mmmm
Puteri Ayu - Steamed Mini Pandan Sponge Cake - taken from Sonia
100 gm castor sugar
150 gm plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ovalette * I omitted this
120 ml coconut milk ( blend 4 pcs of pandan / screwpine leaves with coconut milk)
1/2 tsp salt
a drop of green coloring* optional
60 gm fresh shredded coconut
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp corn flour
1) Mix the topping ingredients together and keep aside.
2) Brush the mold with some cooking oil, fill bottom of the mold with shredded coconut.
3) Stack 2 moulds together and press till shredded coconut is firmed.
4) Sift flour and baking powder.
5) Beat sugar, eggs and ovalette until fluffy.
6) Add coconut milk and mix well.
7) Slowly add in flour and mix till well combine, add in coloring.
8) Fill in the sponge cake molds with batter till full.
9) Prepare steamer, when water boils, put in the mini sponge cake, steam 10-15 mins.
10) When the cake turns slightly cool, remove the cake from the mold. Serve with coffee or tea.
* * *