Nothing beats the joy of making buns especially when it turned out nice and to your expectation :) . Another mission accomplished ! Another item off my To-Do List ! I guess I will be contented as long as I have something to bake and to blog about (“,)
I created this blog for two purposes…one, to leave behind a baking journal for my Piggies and for them to come here and see what I have been doing in my kitchen daily and two, to share with friends and readers as I journey through the successes and failures of my baking experiences. I always practice the principle of - good things must be shared ! (“,) And I want to share this Ham Buns recipe by Aimee with you guys...a deliciously soft and fragrant bun :))
Ham Buns - adapted from My Baking Cottage
300 g bread flour
24 g milk powder
3 g bread improver (may be omitted)
150 g water
3 g instant yeast
20 g caster sugar
3 g salt
30 g egg + extra for egg wash
30 g butter
Handful of spring onions, chopped
1 tsp canola/olive oil
dash of pepper
10 slices of picnic ham (square shape)
- Sift flour, milk powder and bread improver (if adding).
- Combine sifted ingredients with the rest of the ingredients (except butter) and mix to form a dough (Do not allow salt to come into direct contact with the yeast).
- Add in softened butter and continue mixing with your dough hook (knead if you do not have a stand mixer) until the dough becomes smooth, shiny, elastic and pass thewindowpane test.
- Place dough in a bowl, let it proof for about 60 minutes, or until double in size.
- Punch out the gas, and divide the dough into 10 equal potions, each about 60 g. Let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll each dough into a square the size of the picnic ham.
- Place the ham on the dough, and roll it (swiss roll style).
- Cut the rolled dough with ham wrapped inside into 5 equal portions (do not cut through entirely).
- Twist and turn the dough to form a shape of a flower (it looks prettier with the ham facing upwards).
- Let shaped dough proof for another 50 minutes or until double in size.
- Mixed chopped spring onions with oil and pepper.
- Brush pproofed dough with beaten egg, sprinkle spring onions on top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.