Savoury Cheese Scones - adapted from My Kitchen's Snippets
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
5 tbsp cold butter
1 red chili - finely chopped
2 tbsp of freshly chopped herbs (chives, rosemary,thyme or parsley)
1/3 cup milk
1 egg - beaten for brushing
Some sesame seeds or parmesan cheese - garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in cheese and mix well.
2. Rub cold butter into flour mixture until it resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Add in chili and herbs. Beat 2 eggs with milk and add to flour mixture to form dough. Dough should be wet but not too sticky.
3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead just until dough comes together. Pat out dough to 1-inch-thick round. Using 2 1/2-inch-diameter cutter, cut out scones. Gather dough scraps and repeat. Transfer to prepared sheet.
4. Whisk the 1 egg in small bowl and brush over scones. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or parmesan cheese.
5. Bake scones until golden brown. Cool scones on sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to basket. Serve warm.