If you love taro..you will surely love this taro shreds kuih. It is taro/yam shred in cupcake moulds and is suitable for breakfast or tea time snack. Great for parties too...not just dainty looking but deliciously flavorful. Every mouthful is full of the crispy and fragrant fried shrimps. Easy to prepare and you will have your family members and guests craving for more. It taste very much like the yam cake, the only difference is the taro shreds still hold its form after steaming. This recipe is from Y3K Magazine Issue 85 ( July -August) by Rachel Lee . A great fan of taro, I am glad that I tried out the recipe :)
mix the shreds and fried dry shrimps and the
rest of the ingredients together till well combined
fill up the cupcake moulds with the taro
ingredients and steam over high heat for
once it is cooled down, unmould it and served with
Taro Shreds Kuih - Y3K Magazine Issue 85 ( July -August) by Rachel Lee
350-400 g taro or yam - pared off skin, finely shredded
3 dried mushrooms- soaked, drained, diced into small pieces
2 tbsps dried shrimps- rinsed, drained well
6 shallots- peeled, sliced, deep-fried to make crisps
60 g rice flour
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp five spice powder
salt to taste
5 cupcake moulds (greased)
1. Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in the wok. Saute dried shrimps till aromatic. Next, add in diced mushroom, fry well, dish up.
2. Combine taro shreds with no.1 . Add in shallot crisps, rice flour and seasoning. Mix well with your fingers,
3. Put some No.2 into greased moulds. Press them in gently.
4. Bring water insteamer to a rapid boil. Place in No.3 to steam over high heat for 10-20 mins or till cooked.
5. Remove, unmould, serve with chilli sauce.