I love pumpkin and I can cook many dishes with it. I have made Japanese Pumpkin Cake and baked Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls and Oven Baked Pumpkin Bun , and Steamed Pumpkin Cake and Steamed Pumpkin Bun and oday , I want to share this wonderful , soft and and fluffy Steamed Pumpkin Mantou that I made for our tea break. I use Anncoo's recipe. Thank you Ann for the recipe.
Mantou is basically quite bland and it goes well with dishes with gravy. Of course even if you add pumpkin paste to it, it is still quite bland except that it has a mild pumpkin taste and of course , it gives the mantou nice natural orangey yellow color. Love the texture, the pumpkin paste gives the mantou a softer and fluffier texture. Love the added toasted black sesame seeds, it gives the mantou character :) and as you bite the seeds, it gives an awesome sesame flavor ! Goes well with the Nyonya Acar that I made a few days earlier. Perfect match with the Acar that I made. Every bite is so good. Biting into soft and fluffy texture mantou and the spicy, sweet and sour flavors of the Acar bursting on my tongue...gosh, I was like transported to a place where I was oblivious to things around me for a minute :p after while I drank the dried chrysanthemum flowers gifted by my daughter Elaine. A wonderful afternoon tea with my hubby...seriously , delicious homemade Steamed Pumpkin Mantou on a Valentine's Day afternoon :) Easy to make too !
these steamed pumpkin mantou are soft,fluffy
and have the most natural orangey yellow color
steam the pumpkin and mash them and sift them to get a smooth paste
add the pumpkin paste into the flour ingredients to make
a soft dough and allow the dough to proof for 15 minutes
roll the dough flat into 13"X 6" rectangular and roll into a swiss roll
cut the roll into 8 pieces equally
place each piece of mantou dough on a square greaseproof paper
and let it proof for 20 minutes or till double in size and steamed for 15 mins
I served the pumpkin mantou with my homemade Nyonya Acar
60g Pumpkin without skin
¾tsp Instant yeast
250g Plain flour/Hong Kong flour
25g Caster sugar
10g Vegetable oil or olive oil
1 tbsp Black sesame seeds (toasted)
- Steam pumpkin till soft and blend to smooth while still hot. Set aside till cool.
- In a small bowl, mix instant yeast and water together.
- In another bowl sift in flour, add sugar, pumkin puree and oil. Add the instant yeast and water into it. Mix well, and use hand to knead mixture to a smooth dough, add toasted black sesame seed, knead well again. Cover dough and rest for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Dust table top with some flour. Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape (about 13 x 6 inch). Brush some water on top of the surface.
- Roll up the dough like a Swiss roll. Cut into small pieces (8-10pieces) and put the small mantou on a small piece of wax paper.
- Put the mantou in the steamer and proof for 20 minutes or about double in volume.
- Turn the fire to high and bring water to boil and turn fire to medium, steam mantou for 15 minutes.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
to all readers and
have a blessed one with your loved ones